Rutgers President, 1825 to 1840
The change of name from Queen’s to Rutgers College can be attributed in large part to Philip Milledoler (1775–1852), the man who succeeded the Reverend John Henry Livingston as professor of theology in the seminary and who was soon elected by the trustees as the fifth president of the college in 1825. It was in Milledoler’s parish in New York City where Colonel Henry Rutgers served as elder. A devoted member of the Reformed Dutch Church, president of its Board of Corporation, and a wealthy bachelor who was inclined to support benevolent causes, Colonel Rutgers epitomized those Christian qualities held in such high esteem by the synod and the college trustees. By honoring Henry Rutgers, the synod and trustees were also signaling a break from an uneven past and the start of a new and promising era.