Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth-oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 65,000 students and 24,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world. Rutgers comprises
About the University
At a Glance
- Rutgers University–New Brunswick
- Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences Division
- Rutgers University–Newark
- Rutgers University–Camden
- New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
- 32 schools and colleges
- 45,000 undergraduates
- 20,000 graduate students
- 100-plus undergraduate majors
- 200-plus graduate programs
- 9,000 full- and part-time faculty
- 15,400 full- and part-time staff
- 300 research centers and institutes
- $700 million in annual research and development expenditures
- 450,000 alumni worldwide
As the sole comprehensive public research university in the state’s system of higher education, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, has the threefold mission of
- providing for the instructional needs of New Jersey’s citizens through its undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education programs;
- conducting the cutting-edge research that contributes to the medical, environmental, social, and cultural well-being of the state, as well as aiding the economy and the state’s businesses and industries; and
- performing public service in support of the needs of the citizens of the state and its local, county, and state governments.
Each component of the university’s mission reinforces and supports the other two.
Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that meets the highest standards of excellence, to conducting research that breaks new ground, and to providing services, solutions, and clinical care that help individuals and the local, national, and global communities where they live.